2012-2013 Season: Turning Toward Home

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Winter Festival Presses On

We have had our hands full with the Winter Festival over here at the Actors' Shakespeare Project, and since my last post our foremost production of the Winter Fest -- Cymbeline -- has debuted at the storefront in Davis Square.

My internship here has been marked by new (and surprising) experiences -- even watching Cymbeline was novel to me, as it has been many years since I have patronized the theater, and I certainly have never sat that close to the action on stage. Before Cymbeline's premier, I was enlisted to work in the space setting things up and getting things ready for showtime. Sometimes it is nice to break the monotony of routine -- and negotiating extension cords around the storefront, hammering nails and getting the venue ready for the actors certainly serves as a reminder of how close to the stage we really are.

The most memorable experience from this week was helping Tamara Hickey read through the script for our third play of the Winter Festival: Living in Exile. The ritual may seem commonplace to most of the people around the offices here, but to someone less experienced in theater, it was captivating to some degree. It amazes me how much these actors are able to memorize in such short and busy periods of time. I'm looking forward to seeing the script put on in the space, and everything seems coming along well.

This weekend I look forward to bringing a student group I have organized on my own to come see Cymbeline. Doug Lockwood's production is certainly worthy of a second viewing, and I anticipate that my group is going to love the space and the experience of Shakespeare. Will keep you updated on the highlights of my time here. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment